воскресенье, 29 марта 2015 г.

March, 21 - Bedtime stories

What was your favorite book as a child? Did it influence the person you are now?

When I was young, I used to read a lot. And when I say "a lot", I really mean it. Sometimes I could pick up any book lying anywhere and just browse, look it through, smelling the yellow pages, and that was the time I discovered all books smell differently.

Not all of my discoveries were made at the proper time. For some reason, I liked a book about children, I mean, how to take care of and how to bring up a child. When I was about six or seven, I already knew what to do if you have two kids who are jealous of each other, and stuff like that.

But let's rewind a couple of years back.

When I think of a book that used to be the most precious to me, I remember "The Wizard of Oz". Actually, that's not exactly true. What I and other kids read, was more like "The Wizard of the Emerald City". Still, the plot was ridiculously alike. The main character Dorothy was Ellie, and all the other characters were pretty much the same.

I liked the book. I simply adored it. I draw pictures, played games with myself (I was Ellie, of course), and what is more, once my parents bought some kind of a radio version of the story (by the modern standards it could be called an audiobook). I knew all the songs by heart and I was never shy to sing them at any time.

Somehow I wonder if a small part of Ellie still lives in me.

After all, I once used to be a girl who didn't have any friends, let alone having a dog.

Nobody knows when exactly this little girl stepped on her yellow brick road full of dangers as well as adventures, and it is clear there's no one of these things without the other. She found her friends, one after another, and she was much happier than Ellie, because she now had more. Sometimes friends come and go, but she knows that even letting a friend be there where he needs it doesn't mean letting him go forever.

She still fights some evil witches, and sometimes things do not get smoothly, because not all of them are people. The main evil lives inside us, and it is the most difficult thing to overcome.

When I come to think of it, I know my yellow brick road is far from over, and strangely it's something that makes me glad.

And something else - I'm happy to know I have the best company in the world to make it through and the best place in the world I can always come back to. 

2 комментария: