воскресенье, 22 февраля 2015 г.

February, 14 - Cupid's arrow

It’s Valentine’s Day, so write an ode to someone or something you love. Bonus points for poetry!

She tore off one more leaf of the calender and could hardly hold a sigh of disappointment.

This day couldn't help coming. St.Valentine's Day.

It meant several things at once.

Firstly, the newspread would be filled with posts of two kinds - Valentine cards and fresh jokes about the Mental Patient Day in Germany; secondly, the streets and shops would be full of people, men and boys mainly, breaking their heads, whether it should be flowers or chocolates, or flowers AND chocolates; the last but not the least, she should have come across the fact - she had no one to spend this day with.

I should really buy a cat, she thought.

There was one more variant, though.

***

- I've been waiting for you, - she said hoping her voice wasn't trembling too much.

- You look like you haven't.

Stern but seemingly not offended.

- I wonder if you ever looked at yourself into the mirror... not the way you do when you get up in the morning or stuff... but you don't realise what other people think when they see an appearance like yours.

- And what do they think? What do you think?

- I think ... I'd call it "out-of-this-world" type.

- Judging by the tone of your voice, I'm not really sure if it's good or bad, - he smirks.

- I don't know. At least, your future wife will have to put up with the fact she's not the cute one in your pair.

His self-satisfied smile suddenly blazed in the darkness brighter than several candles standing on the table, not to give some real light, but to maintain the atmosphere.

-  OK, enough about me. Let's talk about you. Why am I here?

- Frankly, I wanted to ask you the same question. Or ask myself.

This dialogue obviously wasn't heading anywhere. At this very moment she was closer to understanding why she was alone this day, closer than anytime before. But, as usual, she preferred to ignore it.

- I may blame alcohol for that, - she finally said, pounding every word more carefully than ever, - but I really wanted to say something to you.

- I...

- Don't. Just let me say. I'm not sure if I can say this any other time, so just don't interrupt.

He was surely more used to the idea of him being the one to talk. Obviously, being the one to listen wasn't that easy.

- This day is meant to say things to the one you love, right? But I guess I'm just not that case. And now you coming here, into my life... if I said I could easily ignore you, I would be lying. To myself, in the first place. The point is... you give me something. And I guess the most exact word is...

Inspiration.

- Right. If it wasn't for you, I would live my life like everyone else. Like a machine, you know... Getting up, getting things done, being happy. But it's not this simple. As long as I imagine you doing the same, basic things, on the other end of the world, but in your own way, so graceful, so elegant, so ... you, I ... somehow my own way of things seems sweeter to me.

Silence was the answer. All this time he was looking into some blank spot on the wall, as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

- Why am I telling all this? I don't know. And I still doubt whether I should do so. But there's this one thing... there's probably only one person to fall in true love with. But there's hardly more than five people in this world who inspire you. Who add this strange sophistication to your routine. I'm glad you're here, in my life. And that without knowing that, you make me so happy at times. I'm done. Thank you.

***

She woke up from a strange dream. In fact, it was rather like an illusion. All the words still tasted strangely in her mouth. And even so, she would hardly change any single one if she had a chance.

February, 15th has just stepped into his rights. 

Somewhere in this world he has probably finished his business for today and was ready to welcome the end of the previous day. Oh, those weird time differences.

And right here, at this very moment, it meant everything in the world.

1 комментарий:

  1. Tastes strange.

    I can relate to the whole story somehow, and it's even more strange.
    But I like it in a way ))

    By the way, thank you for the inspiration for writing, bro ))

    ОтветитьУдалить